DANGEROUS FOODS – Foods with Xylitol: What Every Labrador Dog Owner Should Know

Do you own a Labrador retriever? Would you like to be a responsible dog owner?

One of the things that you should do is to make sure to give your dog only the best foods. Make sure that it is appropriate for their needs. See to it that it has nutritional value. Also, make sure that it does not contain xylitol. In several studies in the past, xylitol toxicity in dogs has been explored. The conclusion was that this sugar substitute can be life-threatening for dogs. Even in small amounts, it can cause undesirable outcomes and at its worst, it can lead to death.

The Dangers of Xylitol

Subscribe and Receive This Free Ebook and Some Great Bonuses!!!

Xylitol has toxicity that is 100 times more serious compared to what chocolates can be to dogs. When non-human species, like dogs, consume anything that contains xylitol, it will be absorbed into their bloodstream. In turn, insulin is going to be released from their pancreas. This is so rapid and can result in the lowering of blood sugar. This is the point where dogs will experience hypoglycemia. Aside from this, other common xylitol side effects include vomiting, seizure, and lack of coordination, collapse, and weakness, among others.

Top 10 Foods Containing Xylitol

To make sure of the health of your Labrador, avoid the following foods as they can increase the risk of xylitol toxicity in your dogs.

• Candies
• Gums
• Chocolate
• Peanut
• Honey
• Cookies
• Ice cream
• Jams
• Protein bars
• Yogurt

Keep in mind, however, that the list presented above is non-conclusive. There are some products that may fall within any of these categories, but they may not necessarily contain xylitol. Always refer to the list of ingredients so that you can be sure that this sugar substitute is not present in any food that will be given to your Labrador.

What Dog Owners Should Do

Prevention is always better than cure. Therefore, to prevent xylitol toxicity in dogs, make sure to not store any product at home that contains this compound. Through this, accidental consumption of xylitol will be avoided. Always be doubtful about foods that are labeled as “sugar-free.” Once xylitol toxicity symptoms are already showing, make sure to get in touch with a veterinarian as soon as possible. Do not attempt to have the problem resolved on your own. Never induce vomiting. Do not also give any oral medication, unless you are given permission by a veterinarian to do so. It is also important to note that toxicity can progress quickly. Therefore, most veterinarians will immediately take action upon seeing your dog. There is no time to wait for diagnostics as treatment needs to be given as soon as possible.

Other Dangerous Foods You Didn’t Know About That Could Kill Your Dog

The veterinarian always recommends using dog food when feeding our dogs rather than opting for human food. The main reason for this is that they have a different digestive system compared to humans. The substance that their body can tolerate is also distinctive. Most of us probably think that as long as we are giving our pet with healthy and nutritious food, then he will probably be just fine. Turns out, this has been a common misconception among pet owners. Here are some of the foods that you should avoid giving to your beloved canine friend.

Foods That Can Kill Your Dog

Chocolate

With its sweet and luscious taste and energy packed in a single block of chocolate, who would’ve thought that this thing poses a big risk to the health of our furry friends. The theobromine and the caffeine found inside a single bar of a chocolate can be categorized as methylxanthines which are toxic to dogs. The darker the chocolate, the higher the amount of methylxanthines would be. White chocolate contains a lesser amount of methylxanthines, but it is still considered toxic to our pet. Accidentally ingesting the chocolate can lead to seizures, increased body temperature, irregular beating of the heart, muscle tremors, agitation, stomach pain, dehydration, vomiting, and death.

Milk

It is a known fact that milk is the primary source of nutrition of dogs when they were just a puppy. However, similar to most humans, there are dogs that can develop lactose intolerance. The milk sugar that can be found in processed milk cannot be processed and broken down by the digestive enzymes of our dogs. Milk can result to gastrointestinal condition, vomiting, and diarrhea. Fortunately, unlike chocolate, milk is a little less life threatening nourishment.

Onion

Onion can add a distinct flavor to your dishes. It has been a favorite part of the Asian cuisine. But it does something more than making you cry. The substance that is packed inside the onions can damage the red blood cell of our dogs. This may lead to severe weakening. Ingesting a huge amount of onions may result to a need for blood transfusion.

Macadamia Nuts

Though the compounds found inside the macadamia nut is still virtually unknown, study shows that macadamia nuts are toxic to our dogs. Most of the dogs that accidentally ingested the macadamia nuts show a problem in movement especially in using their hind legs. Hypothermia, muscle tremors, depression, vomiting are some of the signs of macadamia poisoning.

Other human foods that can cause a severe negative reaction to our dogs include dairy products, garlic, grapes, avocados, apple core, yeast dough, caffeine, and bacon. Some of them can lead to the problem in nutrient absorption and digestive problems.

Subscribe To Our Mailing List Today  

 

Please Like And Share:

Subscribe To Our Mailing List Today